Apple premieres another new iPhone ad, this time focusing on iOS 8’s voice message feature

Following the release of two new iPhone ads earlier this week, Apple has put out yet another commercial for the iPhone 6. Like the others, “Voice Text” features Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon and pop star Justin Timberlake discussing the newest features on Apple’s smartphone.
In this ad, Fallon and Timberlake demonstrate the many uses for the new voice messaging feature included in iOS 8, such as including sarcasm or difficult-to-spell words in a reply. You can check out the full ad below:

Filed under: iOS Devices Tagged: ad, commercial, iPhone, Jimmy Fallon, Justin Timberlake, TV spot, Voice messages, voice text For more news on iOS Devices, iPhone, and ad continue reading at 9to5Mac.What do you think? Discuss “Apple premieres another new iPhone ad, this time focusing on iOS 8’s voice message feature” with our community.

…read more

Michael Brown’s Mother Says He Was ‘Running For His Life’

Michael Brown’s parents sat down with PBS’ Charlie Rose on Wednesday. In the conversation, Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, said that her son was “running for his life” after an altercation with Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson. An event that eventually led to the teenager’s death. St. Louis prosecutor Robert McCullough announced Monday that a grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson, prompting nationwide rioting. “My son was running for his life, and as his father has said before, he’s had a conversation with him about how to deal with the authorities if you’re approached,” said McSpadden. “Which is to obey, basically. If they ask you to do something you have to do it. I believe that [Wilson] asked my son to stop and I believe that’s what he did.” You can watch a clip of Charlie Rose’s interview with Brown’s parents below. The full interview airs Wednesday at 11pm EST on PBS and again on Bloomberg News on Thursday. SEE ALSO: Darren Wilson Says He Has A ‘Clean Conscience’ About Michael Brown’s Death Join the conversation about this story

Some Immigrants Eligible For Social Security Under Obama Immigration Executive Order

WASHINGTON (AP) — Many immigrants in the United States illegally who apply for work permits under President Barack Obama’s new executive actions would be eligible for Social Security and Medicare benefits upon reaching retirement age, according to the White House.
Under Obama’s actions, immigrants who are spared deportation could obtain work permits and a Social Security number. As a result, they would pay into the Social Security system through payroll taxes. No such “lawfully present” immigrant, however, would be immediately entitled to the benefits because like all Social Security and Medicare recipients they would have to work 10 years to become eligible for retirement payments and health care. To remain qualified, either Congress or future administrations would have to extend Obama’s actions so that those immigrants would still be considered lawfully present in the country.
None of the immigrants who would be spared deportation under Obama’s executive actions would be able to receive federal assistance such as welfare or food stamps, or other income-based aid. They also would not be eligible to purchase health insurance in federal exchanges set up by the new health care law and they would not be able to apply for tax credits that would lower the cost of their health insurance.
The issue of benefits for immigrants who are illegally in the United States is a particularly sensitive one for the Obama administration. As a result, the White House has made it clear that none of the nearly 5 million immigrants affected by Obama’s actions would be eligible for federal assistance. The Obama administration first denied younger immigrants who entered the U.S. illegally as children access to health care exchanges and tax credits in 2012, especially disappointing immigrant advocates.
“They were specifically carved out of that, which is deeply unfortunate because it cuts directly against the spirit” of the health care law, said Avideh Moussavian, an attorney at the National Immigration Law Center. “They should have had the opportunity to buy health insurance just like anybody else.”
Less clear until now was their eligibility for retirement benefits for which they would have paid into through payroll taxes.
Describing the administration’s position, one official said Wednesday that any immigrant considered lawfully present and holding a Social Security number would be entitled to Social Security and Medicare upon retirement because they would have paid into the system.
Stephen Miller, a spokesman for Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, a leading Republican opponent of Obama’s executive …read more

My Husband Died, How Can I Be Thankful?

How can I possibly be thankful when my beloved died this year? If your beloved died this year you may well be asking this question, audibly and under your breath.
And maybe you can’t be thankful just yet; maybe you need to rail at God, the other driver, his lack of attention to his health, yourself for various regrets, or any number of other targets. If you do, rail away. Wail away, get it out. Emotions are begging to be released, so cry, cry, and cry some more. It’s generally only after you FEEL your emotions fully, that you can begin your HEALing.
Yes, that overladen Thanksgiving table may look nothing short of sickening to you now. You can’t remember when you had an appetite, and you doubt seriously it will suddenly arrive simply because it is Thanksgiving. So, marshal your power and tell your family and friends what you think you need. (Prepare yourself that you may not have any idea of what you need just yet; it may unfold moment by moment, and it probably will change shortly after you decide upon a strategy. That’s okay; change is okay.)
I don’t recommend your being alone on Thanksgiving or any of the holidays, however much you may feel like it right now. Instead, tell the host that you will attend the family/group gathering, yet you may not eat so much, and you may burst into tears, and you may not join in on all the festivities, and that needs to be alright. Another “condition” of your attendance is that everyone joins in to remember your beloved, with stories or anecdotes, pictures and jokes. While your husband isn’t going to be seated at the table, you WILL celebrate his memory, by stating his name and including his memory in the days’ festivities.
Prepare, in advance, a room or location — even your car — where you can retreat into if you need some space. Privacy is as necessary as is community during the holidays, so best to plan to entertain both.
Since you can’t bring about a different yesterday, or a different last year, and since your beloved is no longer physically at your side, it might be just the time to begin thinking about the myriad times you shared, and especially the laughter.
Think about the fact that you two found each other, and committed to a forever love. Forever love doesn’t …read more

Hughes’ blow a cruel example of cricket’s risks

London (AFP) – Phillip Hughes’ sickening injury was a stark reminder of the inherent dangers faced by batsmen confronting bowlers propelling a five-and-a-half ounce ‘missile’ at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour.Despite wearing a helmet, Australian left-hander Hughes was left in a critical condition after being hit on the base of the skull by a bouncer during a domestic game in Sydney.The question of how batsmen should protect themselves from a blow on the head is not a new one.Patsy Hendren, the Middlesex and England batsman, briefly wore a reinforced, multiple-peaked cap made for him by his wife in 1933 following England’s infamous ‘Bodyline’ tour of Australia in 1932/33 that led to a spate of short-pitched bowling.Hendren quickly abandoned his innovation and for more than 40 years batsmen made do with caps, sunhats or, as was usually the case, nothing at all on their heads.The Laws of Cricket were adjusted to rule that repeatedly bowling short-pitched deliveries was “unfair”, although it was down to the umpires to make an assessment of the “relative skill” of the batsmen, largely so that those who were good at hooking the bouncer were not denied the opportunity.However, it was rare to see bowlers warned, much less withdrawn from the attack, for bowling an excessive number of bouncers.The mid-1970s saw England’s Mike Brearley experiment with a protective skull-cap worn under the cap, with something similar worn later by India’s Sunil Gavaskar.But the most notable change in headgear came during Kerry Packer’s ‘rebel’ World Series Cricket in the late 1970s which attracted an exceptional crop of fast bowlers, including the West Indies’ Andy Roberts, Wayne Daniel, Michael Holding and Joel Garner.With umpires seemingly reluctant to do anything about bouncer frequency, batsmen decided to treat their heads the same way they had long treated their legs and hands — by covering them up. – Motorcycle helmets – England’s Dennis Amiss, who had struggled against Australia’s celebrated fast-bowling duo of Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson during the 1974/75 Ashes, was a pioneer of the batting helmet.”I went to a motorcycle helmet manufacturer, and he came up with something lighter than the fibreglass motorcycle helmets around in those days and had a visor that could withstand a shotgun blast at 10 yards,” Amiss told the Daily Telegraph. “The problem was that it covered your ears, making it difficult to hear what your batting partner was saying, and …read more

Apple Releases New iPhone 6 Ad: ‘Voice Text’

Just a couple days after releasing the fifth and sixth iPhone 6 ads starring Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, Apple has released a seventh called “Voice Text”. The new ad focuses on one of the new features introduced to iMessage in iOS 8, the ability to instantly send audio messages quickly and easily. The ad humorously highlights how voice messages can be used to better communication with friends, with examples pointing out how voice messages are good for sarcastic comments, singing and saying hard-to-spell words instead of typing them. Apple, so far, has released two new iPhone 6 ads at a time, releasing “Duo” and “Health” during the iPhone 6 event in September, “Huge” and “Cameras” in late September and “Reservations” and “Gamers” a couple days ago. “Voice Text” marks the first time Apple has released an iPhone 6 ad by itself.Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories • ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Teaser to Be Featured on iTunes Trailers This Friday • Holiday Gift Guide for iPhone, iPad, and Mac • ‘Iconic’ Coffee Table Book Updated With More Photos, Special Edition w/Pulsing LED Sleep Light • Fantastical for iPhone, iPad, and Mac Up to 65% Off for Black Friday • iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Changing Users’ Reading Habits as iPad Usage Declines • Sony Planning to Launch E-Paper Smartwatch in 2015 • ‘Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions’ Now Available for Mac • Worldwide Tablet Growth Expected to Slow to 7.2% in 2014 as iPad Sees First Yearly Decline

…read more

‘Red Band Society’ Pulled From Schedule, Will Stop Production After 13 Episodes

Fox has opted not to order more episodes of freshman Red Band Society beyond the original 13-episode order, which will wrap production in mid-December. The network has stopped short of cancelling the hospital teen drama starring Octavia Spencer, which will air two more episodes, tonight (Episode 9) and next Wednesday (Episode 10), Dec. 3, before getting off the schedule. It is unclear when the three remaining episodes will air.
Red Band Society has become the latest… …read more

Banks Behaving Badly: Are You Funding Cluster Bombs?

“The bomb fell over there. If you like I can show you the crater. It exploded and shattered the window. She [my wife] was standing next to the window. The fragments shattered the window and cut her carotid artery. I wanted to run in the opposite direction, but I heard people screaming, ‘Uncle Vanya, Uncle Vanya! Aunt Raya was killed!'”
In October 2014, in eastern Ukraine, Ivan described his wife’s death to Human Rights Watch in terms that were in some ways quite clinical, yet also very desperate.
One wonders what Ivan is doing now; what support he is getting to cope with the loss of his wife; whether those who launched the cluster munitions that killed Raya are aware that the weapon is internationally banned by the majority of the world, and that it should never, under any circumstance, be used in modern warfare. One also has to ask, who gave the orders for this weapon to be used? Governments and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights are pressing for answers on this recent use of cluster munitions in Ukraine.
This week, campaigners against the weapon are also pressing for answers on why any financial institution or bank would choose to be associated with the production of this banned weapon. PAX, a member of the international Cluster Munition Coalition, has released a report revealing the financial institutions backing companies involved in production of cluster munitions.
Sadly, loss of life and limb from cluster munitions is not unusual. Fifty years since they were used in Laos, people still suffer from the daily threat of cluster munition remnants. Some have said that the US bombing of Laos was the equivalent of one planeload of cluster bombs every eight minutes, 24 hours a day, for nine years. At least 270 million cluster bomblets were dropped as part of the campaign and approximately 80 million failed to detonate. It’s because of the devastating failure rate as well as the impact on civilians at the time of use, that cluster munitions are banned under the 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions. Cluster Munition Monitor records that civilians account for 94% of cluster munition casualties.
What is increasingly unusual is countries still using the weapon. Since the international ban was agreed, use has been limited to a small number of states remaining outside of the global ban on cluster munitions; states such …read more